week 4 – Making progress

This week has been fun, I’ve enjoyed all the reading that took place both articles and the peer reviews (especially since I got to compare my project with that of others in the program). It was also fun seeing what other people wrote in the various sections of this weeks peer review. After last weeks near defeat I’m happy to saw that my reading timeline is back on schedule!

My project is coming along, we’ve collected more data and recently refined the scraping tool that we’re using. It now collects more data attributes about each application which should provide for a richer data set when feature selection begins soon.  Over the next few weeks we’ve got a great deal of data to collect as we’ve gotten google play data on 250 apps so the next task will be to collect the network data on all of these applications and i’m unsure how long that will take.

I think we should be able to publish at the end of the program but we have yet to fully resolve the authorship issues as my mentor was away on a meeting this week. Next week we should have that resolved.

The failure of the week was adapting the scraper to collect more features from the google play store. This was an effort that took several days to make progress, which was due to me not knowing JavaScript well. But after days of digging though documentation for JavaScript  and the respective API’s I’m using progress occurred.