Week 5

June 24, 2016

This week we were able to really identify what we would like to have accomplished by the end of this program. Previously we had ideas regarding this but never truly made things final. In our Friday meeting last week we identified the blurry areas and made them more clear. For the remainder of this program, we would like to have:

*File IRB*

For the App:

– write simple SQL calls in PHP/experiment with the data base
– Pull all relevant Facebook data into database
-Experiment with Matching
-Operational App (functional but not pretty yet)

For the Evaluation:

– Criteria Table (to help build a scenario)
  Family/No Family
  Novice/Expert
  Warm Climate/Cold Climate
  Symptoms
– create scenarios (look at scenario-based paper that was sent) How many scenarios should we have? Probably 3-5
– finish mockup based on these scenarios (how would someone in a certain scenario use this application?)
– make survey (demographics, current practices (how do they get their support now and what is beneficial? How do they currently do things and is this challenging? Perception to the scenarios) make answers liker scale or open-ended
If time/ will continue in the school year:
– recruit participants for data collection (looking for about 20 – 30 responses (if difficult may continue for the next week)
-preliminary analysis and reiterate (do we need to change anything or redeploy?
-last weeks write-up our findings/analysis and go back and go over related works/method

By the remainder of this project we would like to have a working wed based application such as this site Patients Like Me

Monday

We were given a scenario-based paper to read which served as a reference to write our own scenarios. We cam up with a total of three scenarios which will be used to conduct a scenario based survey where the information collected will be used to help us develop the application.

Tuesday

We continued to better the scenarios we had created, as well as make revisions to our paper.  We also made the outline for what we expect to discover for our study.  This week our mentor Patrick Shih was only able to meet once since he had to do some traveling. Although we did meet with our graduate mentor Fernando Maestre,  we were unable to have our scenarios approved in person by Patrick, but we sent them to him via email where he left us some helpful comments and suggestions by Wednesday. Overall he said our scenarios sounded good and would be better with the changes he suggested.

Wednesday & Thursday 

On Wednesday and Thursday our main focuses were to improve our paper, create mock up application, peer review, and review SQL for the database of our application. We were able to accomplish all of this except we still have some remaining mockup screens we need to create for our Facebook permissions. Receiving Facebook approval has served as one of our biggest challenges so far this summer. We started off thinking that all we needed in order to receive the permissions were good support such as citations but realized we were mislead. We then realized that in order to receive these permissions we would need to provide Facebook with screen cast of exactly how we plan to have our application work. So since we do not already have the permissions, our solution has been to create screens which we will link together to serve as our mock application for the screencast.  We recently found some free software for the screencast so hopefully we will get those done by this weekend or early next week. 

Here is a link to a pdf form of our Reviewer Response Table: Here .

This is the latest form of the paper: Rare Disease Facebook Extension

So far I have a personal website which can be found at Updated Website! Which I plan to improve as I develop myself academically. I’d have to say, every since I have started this program I do feel as though I am learning to be more professional especially with my online presence. I’m excited to take a professional picture which I will use on my website. I will also probably remove my I1o1 lab link since that is somewhat not professionally designed. Right now I am using a template but I would like to soon create my own website by hand!

We are aiming to submit to Chi 2017. Depending on what we have accomplished, we may submit to the Late-Breaking Work, Student Competitions and/or a Workshop.  Here is a link to their site https://chi2017.acm.org/ .